Friday, March 23, 2007

Tearing it up

The Sharks have been tearing it up lately- they've gotten a point in their last 10 games (8-0-2). And they really played well last night against a streaking Atlanta team. Atlanta is a very quick team that always wants to create odd-man rushes. That gives their snipers, Kovalchuk and Hossa, chances to score. Despite the Thrashers' thirst for turnovers, the Sharks, after playing a fairly sloppy first period, locked it down en route to a 5-1 victory.

Halfway through the game, there were still no penalties called. The Sharks were up 3-1, and I'll let Victor Chi of the Mercury News report the rest:

Coach Bob Hartley yanked goalie Kari Lehtonen in favor of Johan Hedberg. Then on the ensuing faceoff, Jon Sim challenged Bell. Bell, not wanting to scrap with a three-goal lead, declined Sim's initial invitation to fight.

"Then he slashed my stick," Bell said. "I said, `What are you doing?' He said, `We're going.' I said, `Are you serious?' `Yeah.' So I dropped my gloves. I called his bluff. I've played against him before, so I knew he was probably going to run around a little bit."

Bell ended the bout - as well as Sim's night - with a punch that broke an orbital bone.


Nice call, Sim. Way to help your team, by challenging a guy a head taller than you, breaking your face, and missing the rest of the season and the post season. This popped into my head, so I had to get it out. For Mark Bell:
Felony DUI rap : $100,000+
18 points in 64 games, -9 : $2,000,000
Knocking some jackass out that challenged you to a fight: priceless


1 comment:

nursenicole said...

yay, yay, yay! hockey and stuff...