Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Aftermath of trades

Now that we've added salary (Rivet and Guerin) and only subtracted a little bit (Gorges, Nieminen, Parker) the Sharks must be pretty close to the upper limit of the salary cap. Salary caps are a very complicated matter, with a truckload of rules, stipulations, regulations, and minutia. But I'm kind of a math geek, so I get off on that stuff. Maybe I should study up and become a "cap guru". Yeah, like I don't have enough to do already.

I'm constantly learning new things about it, and all the details are ridiculously obscure. Maybe someday I'll do my version of 'Salary Cap 101'. Here are a couple of good sites that have information on the cap situation for all NHL teams. The former is a bit easier to read, but doesn't seem to have all the updates the trade deadline brought. I'm sure it will be a little while for it to be current.

Quick Correction: I said in my Ryan Smyth trade post that he is the captain. That's not correct, we wore the 'A', and not the 'C'. Jason Smith is the current captian of the Oilers. For a list of all NHL captains, you gotta love wikipedia.

No comments: